Weight loss is a topic that can be sensitive for many, including myself. However, I’ve had to admit to myself that if I don’t deal with my weight loss issues now, I never will. I recently joined a gym and have become inspired to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Due to this I thought I’d share with you some tips that have encouraged me to stick to this lifestyle as well as share my own journey with you in the future.
Weightloss is not an easy thing – well for me it isn’t. I’ve always been overweight and it seems that I’ve forever been on a ‘diet’ or concerned with my weight. I’ve joined weight watchers, slimming world, and been a part of numerous weight loss plans as well as taken weight loss pills prescribed by the doctor! I actually got to a point that I was tired of thinking about my weight that I just let things go – I didn’t care anymore. However, what really motivated me this time around was my fiancé. He loves me for me, but at the same time living a healthy lifestyle is something that he has taught me is very important. So I decided to do something about it.
I’ve just started with my journey, but here are some useful tips I’ve learnt so far:
- Get started – I’m definitely one that loves to procrastinate and have been doing so for years. But this time round I had to just get started with everything. That includes everything from your diet to activity – just make the changes.
- Become active – Now I really struggled with this one. I do not like going to the gym or doing much sports to be honest. So I started with walking. On my phone I have an activity tracker and I ensured that I completed my daily steps target. I would make sure that I walked that little further to the next bus stop or around my neighbourhood. Brisk walking is great and is something most of us can do without the expenses of a gym membership. I’ve also got a fitbit which is another great tracker for your daily fitness.
- Become active part 2 – Now if you’re like me and was looking for ‘more’ activities then joining a gym is great. I joined a 24 hour gym but I’ll be honest – I hardly ever went. So with the help of my fiancé (a birthday gift for me!) I decided to get a personal trainer! I’ll keep you updated with how this goes, but I have high hopes as I know that they will work me hard and monitor my progress.
- Drink lots of water – I don’t dislike water, but I will say I prefer drinks such as Pepsi Max and Coke Zero (ok those were the ONLY drinks I drank!). When my personal trainer said I need to give up my beloved soda drinks I was distraught – even more so when she said I should stick to water, tea and coffee. So that’s what I’ve been doing – 3 litres of water a day (6 500ml bottles). What’s really on my wishlist are these 2.2 litre water jugs which look great!
- Be mindful of what you eat – slowly embedding good practice to your diet is going to ensure you make it a lifestyle choice. For me, it is something I’m learning to do as I type, but I definitely can see the benefits of doing so. I’m not going to do anything drastic with my food consumption other than ensure that what I eat is at certain times in a day. I used to eat one meal a day (I know terrible!), but my personal trainer has instructed that I eat 3 meals a day which will slowly increase to 6 small meals. For now three meals is fine for me and I’m enjoying planning my meals. If you’re into food planning and prepping you might be interested in checking out these containers.
The above is advice that really got my mindset right to starting a new lifestyle. However before all of that I needed to be sure that what I was doing was for me and no one else. I have a goal in mind and that keeps me motivated. I’d say sit down and really think about why you want to lose the weight. Personally for me, understanding the health benefits of weight loss has really kept my focus, as well as knowing that as I get older I need to be more aware of what I consume. Also let’s not forget I have a wedding dress to fit into next year! Whatever your goal and reasons, just make sure they mean something to you.
I hope you found this useful – let me know any tips you’d give for starting a weight loss journey.
SOME LINKS ARE AFFILIATES WHICH MEANS I RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION % SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. ALL ITEMS MENTIONED WERE PURCHASED BY MYSELF (UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED).