I recently received my Beautylish Lucky Bag 2018 in the post, so wanted to share with you what I got. If you’re not too familiar with the concept of a Beautylish Lucky Bag, then I’ll do my best to explain it.
WHAT ARE LUCKY BAGS?
Lucky bags are not a new thing. They are are a Japanese New Year tradition called Fukubukuro in which retailers create grab bags with random items and sell them on for a heavily discounted price. The idea is that you are unaware of what you will receive, but these bags should be of a very good value.
The idea of Fukubukoro is based on the belief in Japan that the New Year should be entered with a fresh start. So the lucky bags are filled with excess stock from the year prior (which of course is great if you’ve had your eye on something for a while!).
HOW CAN YOU PURCHASE A BEAUTYLISH LUCKY BAG?
Beautylish Lucky Bags are released on the 26th December each year and retail for $75 for the regular box or $150 for the XL sized boxes. The $75 boxes promise to have at least $150 worth of products, whilst the XL boxes have at least $350 worth of products. These boxes have been available for the last 4 or 5 years, and I’ve purchased them for the last 3 years. One of the concerns I had about the boxes was that some of the products didn’t cater for my skin tone, but this year Beautylish decided to provide bags for light to medium and deep to dark skin tones.
INSIDE MY LUCKY BAG
So now that I’ve given you a run down of what the Beautylish Lucky Bag is, let’s take a look at what I received:
- A Wayne Goss No. 16 blending brush ($30 / £22) – these are tailor-made goat hair brushes by the celebrity makeup artist Wayne Goss. I’ve always wanted to try more of his range, after receiving a liner brush last year in my lucky bag. I can’t wait to try this brush as it feels so soft!
- A Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter and Glow Liquid Eye Shadow ($24 / £23) – these liquid eyeshadows by Stila are stunning. If you want to wear glitter but find it too messy or difficult to apply then these may be your answer. I received the shade Bronzed Bell which is a beautiful bronze shade with gold and silver glitter. These are available in the UK on the Stila website hence why I’ve put the actual UK price.
- A Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drop ($42 / £34) – these drops are liquid highlighters that are very intense and quite metallic. I actually have these already unfortunately and I’ll be honest and say that I don’t tend to reach for it much. But I’m still quite impressed to see this in the bags! I received the shade Sunlight which is like a champagne gold. These are available in the UK here.
- A Kevyn Aucoin Celestial Powder ($44 / £35) – this is a highlighting powder which is definitely on the luxury makeup end. I have two of these powders already in my collection, as I love to highlight (just see this post!). Although the first year I received a Kevyn Aucoin bronzer which just did not work for me, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they included this powder in the shade sunlight as this is a shade for deeper skin tones. I love the subtle finish of these powders and I think they work great on all skin types, especially if you have more mature skin. These powers can be found here in the UK.
- A Clean Apothecary Brush Shampoo ($15 / £11) – this is a brush cleanser which I have never used. I’ve been wanting to try a new cleanser for my brushes so I’m pleased to see this in my bag. I’ve heard good reviews about this one, especially for natural-hair brushes. It also smells great as it smells of lavender! This is only available on the Beautylish website.
- A Natasha Denona Holiday Palette ($48 / £35) – I was super excited to receive a Natasha Denona eyeshadow palette! These are one of my favourite eyeshadow formulas as they are pigmented, buttery and blend like a dream. Some of the glitter shadows are a bit more difficult to work with but I can’t get enough of them. I already have the big pan palette which is VERY expensive and the smaller Lila palette (also very expensive). I also received a blush and highlighter palette from Natasha Denona in last year’s bag. I’ve had my eye on these new Holiday palettes, and I was happy to receive the Aeris palette as that’s the one I’ve wanted! Can you tell I’m just a little excited?
- A NIOD Sanskrit Saponins ( 90 ml $28 / £21) – this is a deep cleansing balm which I’ve not had any experience with. I’ve heard good reviews so I’m looking forward to using it! This is also available here in the UK.
Wow! So looking back at my list, I feel that I was very lucky this year with my Beautylish Lucky Bag. Inside were a couple of repeat products, but I’m not too fussed by that. Altogether my bag has a value of $231 / £181! I paid $75 for the bag and $33 to ship (includes duties) so a total of $108 / £78 .
The one thing I was a little disappointed with was the amount of time it took to arrive. I ordered the bag on the 26th Dec 2017, but it didn’t ship until the 12th January 2018 and I didn’t receive it until the 18th January 2018.
Let me know if you received a Beautylish Lucky Bag this year and share what you got below! To sign up for the Beautylish Lucky Bag 2019 click here.
SOME LINKS ARE AFFILIATES WHICH MEANS I RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION % SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. ALL ITEMS MENTIONED WERE PURCHASED BY MYSELF (UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED).