4 Ways To Switch Off From Social Media Overload

4 Ways To Switch Off From Social Media Overload

As much as I love social media, I’ve come to realise that I need to really detox from it all on a regular basis. As a blogger it’s quite difficult to just ‘switch off’, but I know that my happiness doesn’t and shouldn’t rely on any social media status.

It can all feel quite overwhelming at times and we can get into a cycle of comparison. Social media can be an amazing tool, but too much can be very damaging. Let’s be real, a lot of what we see online and in social media is a highlight reel. People love to display their ‘best of’ images, stories, life and very few show the reality.

Over the past few months, I’ve really been cutting back on my social media intake and quite frankly just switching off. Let’s take a look at some ways to switch off:

Avoid swiping, scrolling and mindless searching online

So we’ve all done it -that bored endless swiping up or right on our phones. I’d hate to think of the amount of time I actually waste doing this. The worst thing is, is that this doesn’t do much for our mental health either. We end up in a mindset of comparison and wishing our lives were like those we see. Best way to avoid this from happening is to not to do it in the first place! Distract yourself by keeping busy with other focuses.

Reduce your social media platforms

Gasp! I said it. I mean come on, how many of those social media platforms do you REALLY need? You have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Linkedin, Tumblr, Pinterest, and the many more that are out there. Checking all of those platforms daily is a chore in itself, and will definitely lead to that mindless scrolling and swiping.

Delete, delete, delete

Right so this might seem harsh, but if there’s a certain account that you follow that doesn’t provide you with anything but distaste, then why are you still following them? A few months back, I had to really be honest with myself and realise that a lot of the accounts I followed were creating in me a frustration that I wasn’t comfortable with. I had to force myself to delete these accounts. I think I actually ended up unfollowing hundreds of accounts as none of them were actually doing anything beneficial.

Focus on interests outside of the digital world

This is one that I really needed to work on. I had to realise that there was so much more to the likes and pictures curated by the digital world. I started to enjoy simple things like reading again, or even going for a coffee alone or a walk. For me focusing on my wedding has really helped, but the point I’m trying to make is that we should be creating experiences outside of social media and really enjoy the world around us.

Have you felt overwhelmed by the saturation of the digital world? What have you done to ease this? Let us know below!

Speak soon,

Vicky x

THIS IS NOT A SPONSORED POST, HOWEVER SOME LINKS ARE AFFILIATES WHICH MEANS I RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION % SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. ALL ITEMS MENTIONED WERE PURCHASED BY MYSELF (UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED).

16 Comments

1. January 10, 2018 / 8:24 am

I’m definitely guilty of mindless scrolling, especially in the evenings when I’m tired. Very sensible tips – I’m only on a few of the social media platforms and I have no idea how people keep up with them all, I’d find it so stressful!

• January 12, 2018 / 5:52 pm

It can be very stressful!

2. January 10, 2018 / 8:59 am

I need to stop aimlessly reading threads that have nothing to do with me! I loose hours reading random comments and get sucked into conversations that have nothing to do with me!

• January 12, 2018 / 5:48 pm

Omg I’m the same! Definitely something to not do this year!

3. January 10, 2018 / 10:15 am

This is something I really need to do because everything is getting on top of me at the moment. Perhaps taking a step back will help clear my head 🙂

• January 12, 2018 / 5:46 pm

I think it really will. Take that time for yourself x

4. January 11, 2018 / 3:55 pm

I’m guilty of getting drawn into social media, but I have definitely started to put the phone down a lot more often. I just switched off over Christmas and it was so refreshing. I agree that the constant comparisons is not good for mental health and it is important to follow people who are inspiring opposed to accounts that make me feel like I’m not doing well enough.

• January 12, 2018 / 5:41 pm

Having that time out is a great thing! x

5. January 11, 2018 / 4:44 pm

It’s so easy to get sucked in to social media. Great tips. I think I need to try some of them.

• January 12, 2018 / 5:40 pm

You definitely should! x

6. January 11, 2018 / 6:58 pm

Some great tips here. I work from home, online, for my job but I like to delete the apps from my phone when I’m on holiday or having the weekend off. Really helps me!

• January 12, 2018 / 5:40 pm

That’s great! x

7. January 11, 2018 / 9:07 pm

You are so right! I am terrible at switch off. I think taking baby steps and starting with deleting apps and people I don’t really need in my life would be a good start.

• January 12, 2018 / 5:39 pm

Yes! Deleting and blocking is something I’ve learnt to start doing – works wonders! x

8. January 12, 2018 / 8:25 am

I completely agree, and very much so with mindless scrolling. I do that when I’m tired or just sat. I literally will be exercising my fingers! With your last point that’s one of my 2018 goals – to find myself and that means hobbies and family time.

• January 12, 2018 / 5:36 pm

It’s great when you give yourself that time offline – so much clarity can happen x