WALES DIARY | AN AFTERNOON ON CARDIFF BAY

WALES DIARY | AN AFTERNOON ON CARDIFF BAY

I’ll be moving to Wales next year when I become a Mrs and thought I’d start a little diary of the different places I end up visiting. Now Cardiff is one of my favourite places in Wales, simply because I think I’m a city girl at heart, but I also love it’s vibrancy in terms of the different types of people that live there and its offering of great dining areas, but also the tranquility the Bay offers.

At the beginning of August, we (my fiancé and I) decided to make an early afternoon trip to Cardiff Bay for a long walk and dinner. Whilst on the Bay I realised just how much I loved being by the sea and just how peaceful life can be even though there’s a hustle and bustle all around. If you’ve never been to the Bay I highly recommend it – there’s a plethora of activities to do from dining out along the boardwalk on Mermaid Quay, to visiting the Doctor Who Experience, to taking the kids to play along the Cardiff Bay barrage or simply taking a boat ride or stroll around the Bay.

War Memorials on Cardiff Bay

War Memorial - Spoken Reveries

This is the Merchant Seafarer’s War Memorial on Cardiff Bay, designed and sculpted by Brian Fell. The hull rests on a circular mosaic design by artists Louise Shenstone and Adrian Butler and around the edge it says “IN MEMORY OF THE MERCHANT SEAFARERS FROM THE PORTS OF BARRY PENARTH CARDIFF WHO DIED IN TIMES OF WAR”. This was so breathtaking to me and it definitely made me reflect on all of those who had lost their lives in times of war.

This memorial peace really intrigued me and looked like it was either still in construction or they were dismantling the poppy waterfall. Either way, I really enjoyed the look of this.

The views from Cardiff Bay

Cardiff Bay - Spoken Reveries

The view at Cardiff Bay is just stunning. If you ever visit just take sometime to be still and take it all in.

Eating mussels on Cardiff Bay

I was watching ‘Escape to the Country’ (yes – I love house hunting programmes lol!) and they had a little segment on welsh mussels. Apparently Conwy Mussels are some of the best in world (their words not mine!), so being in Wales I wanted to try out a mussel dish. Now, I’m no mussels connoisseur so I have no idea what I was expecting, but I did take some cute pictures so I thought I’d share them with you! We visited the Italian restaurant called Bellini’s which has a beautiful sea front view. The service was good, as we were seated quickly and attended to well. The food was probably not my favourite pasta dish I’ve had (I ordered a spicy mussels and spaghetti dish), however my fiancé really enjoyed his risotto dish (although he did wish they had a bigger serving). Regarding the mussels -they were really good, but I couldn’t finish them as there was a very generous serving!

I’ll definitely be heading back to Cardiff Bay and highly recommend it as a place to visit. Let me know if you’ve been and if you have any recommendations of places to visit!

I managed to vlog my time in Wales so definitely check it out below!

Vicky

SOME LINKS ARE AFFILIATES WHICH MEANS I RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION % SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. ALL ITEMS MENTIONED WERE PURCHASED BY MYSELF (UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED).

15 Comments

1. January 15, 2018 / 10:06 pm

This place sounds very idyllic and somewhere I will go to when I came to visit you in Wales.

• January 16, 2018 / 3:14 pm

Yes! We’ll definitely go exploring when you visit!

2. February 14, 2018 / 8:48 am

I just followed your blog – I hope to take my family to Wales next summer – so all of your information is fantastic for me. The Memorial is one of the more impressive ones I have seen _ it’s so powerful!
    and I LOVE house hunting shows too – escape to the country has been my go to one – until I literally escaped to the country myself:)

3. February 14, 2018 / 9:46 am

I’ve never been to Cardiff your images definately make me want to go though haha! x #bloggerclubuk

4. February 14, 2018 / 10:07 am

I love in Cardiff it is such a beautiful place to be , your photos are fanatic

5. February 14, 2018 / 10:23 am

Oh wow Cardiff Bay looks stunning! We recently went on holiday to Wales and have fallen in love, so are already planning another holiday there 🙂

6. February 14, 2018 / 5:40 pm

I would love to visit Wales. Cardiff looks amazing and that food? OMG looks so good!

7. February 14, 2018 / 7:41 pm

I love mussels, but I had no idea they were supposed to be so good in Cardiff! I’ll have to make a return visit – my family live fairly close, so it would make a nice trip to see them (and eating the mussels too!)

8. February 15, 2018 / 9:01 am

I lived in the UK and sadly never made it to Wales (Europe was more important to me at the time) but my friend said she absolutely loved her time in Wales. I loved this little guide and my lord that food looks delicious!

9. February 15, 2018 / 12:07 pm

I really like Cardiff too, but it’s been such a long time since I have been. The bay looks absolutely stunning!

10. February 15, 2018 / 1:47 pm

That mussel dish looks AMAZING! I’d love to visit Wales again. I was only there once, many moons ago, in Fishguard.

11. February 15, 2018 / 7:39 pm

I love the Bay. An ex of mine lived there so I spent a fair amount of time walking around the bay. 🙂

I haven’t been there in a few years though.

12. February 15, 2018 / 8:45 pm

It looks stunning! I’ve only visited Cardiff briefly years ago but I’d love to go back.

13. February 16, 2018 / 5:38 pm

This loves lovely and i get what you mean about living near the sea. I would love to do the same!
    Love the photos and i’ll need to be trying those mussels!

14. February 17, 2018 / 10:41 am

It actually looks pretty! Much prettier than I thought it was going to be. Also, that plate of food has made me hungry!