Many years ago, I went into a MAC store and asked to be matched for my foundation shade. After about 5 minutes of sitting down, the MAC lady had matched me to NW45 – as the case was for 90% of people of colour back then! So I went through my years believing I had a warm, red undertone; however it wasn’t until more recently I realised that this was a mismatch and I actually have more neutral undertones!
Knowing what my match now is, I went back to a MAC counter yesterday and they had now matched me to NC50 (although it’s still not a great match, but better than NW45), and this made me think about writing this post. The struggle is real when it comes to trying to find a good matching foundation whatever the price, but when it comes to the drugstore it’s a whole new fight. Although things are changing for the better now with the Superdrug’s #ShadesofBeauty campaign, which is all about diversifying the drugstore ranges so that people of colour are catered for and certainly not made to feel like an afterthought. I’ll be writing a full feature of this campaign soon, but for now check out my vlog about their latest event.
So, knowing it’s difficult to find deeper shades in the drugstore (as well as more pale tones too), I thought I’d share with you some of my best matched foundation shades I use from the drugstore and high street:
- Maybelline Superstay Full Coverage 24H Foundation (Cocoa) – Initially when I saw this foundation shade, I thought it would be too red for me, however when I applied it it blended in very well and there was little difference between my own tone and the foundation. To see me apply this foundation check out my video testing out new drugstore foundations here. This is a foundation that has a demi-matte finish and is good for normal to oily skin.
- Maybelline Matte + Poreless Foundation (Mocha) – This foundation appears to have more of a golden undertone, but blends in well. Once it has settled it deepens to become a more neutral brown tone which is a good match for me. This has a demi-matte finish and is good for normal to oily skin (although I’ve also heard people with dry skin praising this foundation). I’d say that if you have VERY oily skin, then this may not be the one for you.
- L’Oreal Infallible Total Cover Foundation (Cappuccino) – This is a funny foundation – initially when you squeeze it out of the tube it appears to be quite dark, but when you blend the foundation into your skin it starts to lighten slightly and actually becomes the same tone as the settled tone of the Matte + Poreless Foundation.
- Maxfactor Healthy Skin Harmony Miracle Foundation (Soft Sable 100) – This is one of my newer additions to my collection and I really need to wear it longer, but whilst the foundation matches it does have a very slight red undertone to it. This would be great for people with normal to dry skin.
- Maxfactor Face Finity All Day Flawless Foundation (Sun Tan 100) – If you know me, then you know that is my favourite drugstore foundation EVER. Now if I had to say which foundation out of the 7 I’m mentioning today matches me ‘perfectly’ – then this is it. It has the ‘perfect’ balance between warm and cool in its undertone, as well as being a medium to full coverage, but lightweight foundation. The foundation also lasts a long time, and is great for people with oily skin. Highly recommend this one! Check out my full review here.
- The Body Shop Matte Clay Skin Clarifying Foundation (Santiago Walnut) – This is my newest addition to my collection as it has only just been released! However, I have tried it and, although it’s the most yellow undertone of the bunch, it blends in well into the skin to match my own skin tone. This definitely a foundation for those with oily skin. *this is currently not available online, but is in store*
- B. Flawless Matte Foundation (N10) – Superdrug’s own cosmetics line B. Makeup have recently relaunched and released a great range of products. Their foundation range in particular is something to be excited about, as they now have quite an extensive range of shades as well as foundations in two different finishes. My go to has been the matte foundation, and this is again a seamless match for me. Out of all of the foundations i’ve mentioned this is the darkest I have, however it still works for me. This is a foundation that is great for people with oily skin. To see me trying out this new foundation check out my video here.
To be honest there are more foundations I could have mentioned, so I will do a follow up post in the near future! In the meantime why not check my latest drugstore foundation review here?
SOME LINKS ARE AFFILIATES WHICH MEANS I RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION % SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINK. ALL ITEMS MENTIONED WERE PURCHASED BY MYSELF (UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED).